Friday 31 July 2015

Wildlife in the garden

I thought I would put together some photographs and observations of the wildlife seen in the garden over the last few weeks of summer.

My deadwood perches that were strategically placed around the feeders seem to have been accepted by the local garden birds, many of them flying in and perching on these branches before moving on to the feeders, I have also noticed that many of the birds use these branches to clean their beaks, swiping them to and fro before moving on.

One of my favourite birds of the garden at the moment has to be the Robins that have set up a territory close by, now re-established as the country's favourite and national bird,  and I am not sure why we needed to have a re-vote, I thought the Robin always was the country's national bird, this dating back to the 1940s, maybe unofficially though.


 I have often listened to those stories, usually told by old gardeners, of the Robin that sits on the garden fork while the flower beds are dug over, like an old friend.

Well I have an old friend now, these last few months I have often had that feeling that I was being watched, especially when digging around in the garden, often as I have looked up, there it is, sitting on a branch very close by, sometimes unusually close by, he makes a quick grab of an unseen morsel and flies off.
I don't know where they are nesting, but two broods have been successfully reared this year, the occasional sighting of a juvenile skulking around under the garden shrubs have been seen.

Juvenile Robin
I love watching the male court the female, re-establishing their pair bond, often taking sunflower hearts from the feeders and flying to the female offering the food.

 The most unusual and surprising event was watching the male Robin flying around the garden with a very large green caterpillar in its beak, he tried to offer it to the female, she seemed uninterested, as he flew from branch to branch with his prize, a Great Tit flew down beside him, snatched the caterpillar from his beak and flew off with it, the Robin just sat there. Its passiveness was quite surprising when you take into account its aggressiveness shown to any rivals that enter their territories

Robin pair bonding
Intimate moment captured
This Wren was a very unusual visitor to the garden, I caught sight of something moving through the ivy at the back of the pond, which finally revealed itself to be a juvenile Wren, soon disappeared again.

Juvenile Wren






 A few days later I saw this adult Wren taking a drink from the bird bath, maybe they nested close by.

Wren
The House Sparrows seemed to have had a good breeding season this year, the number of broods visiting the garden and the feeders, certainly belies the reported decline in their numbers.
A pair of Hedge Sparrows or Dunnocks as they are now called seen occasionally.
 Heres some of my favorite photographs.

House Sparrow



Hedge Sparrow or Dunnock





Plenty of Finches still visiting the garden, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch, the Greenfinches appear to have overcome their initial shyness and happily feed in my company.

Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Juvenile Greenfinch

Goldfinch


Great Tits are coming to the garden feeders as regularly as the Blue Tits, they too, seem to have overcome their initial wariness.

Blue Tit juvenile
Great Tit Juvenile
Ring -Necked Parakeets are now feasting on my pears.



Other birds noted have included the regular Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons which are now nesting in the Wisteria over the front entrance door, the occasional Magpie, the Blackbirds and Starlings.
The Sparrowhawk has reappeared and has made at least three attempts that I have witnessed to snatch a meal from the pear tree, so far unsuccessfully 

No comments:

Post a Comment